Colorbond Metal Roofing vs Tiled Roofing
When it comes to re-roofing, the question is always metal vs tiles. The truth is metal roofing is much more affordable to install and the ongoing costs are much cheaper than tiles. Plus metal is easier to maintain and can often look more modern and slick. Tiles can also be a good option if you are wanting to stay within a certain budget and style. For example, aesthetic factors such as a cottage style home design might warrant a tile roof instead of a colorbond roof.
Many people refer to colorbond as the material, but colorbond is actually a brand of metal roofing type. Other brands exist on the market, but colorbond has been well branded and tested over many years. For more information on colorbond click here.
If you are building a new home or wanting to replace your tile roof with colorbond or metal roofing, you may also be asking the following questions below.
Do I need to contract a licensed roofer?
Yes. Most states require roofers to be licensed. You can get an owner builders license and contract a roofer, but any many cases this is not really going to save you money.
Roofing is very important as it keeps out the weather. Your home is full of valuables, appliances and electrical cabling. Roofing is never recommended as a DIY project for safety reasons. Only a qualified roofing contractor has the equipment and skill needed to do the job right.
Depending on where you live, they could hold a dedicated roofing license such as roof tiling, roof slating (NSW), roof cladding (Queensland) or a building license (Victoria). Ask your roofing contractor for their licence before you hire them, this will help you ensure that you are getting a qualified tradesperson to do your new roof.
6 questions to ask your contract roofer.
Asking the right questions can save you a lot of time and money. Some questions to ask them include:
- Do you have insurance? Always ask this question, you don’t want someone working on your home without it.
- How long have they been doing contract roofing for? This will guage the level of experience.
- What equipment do you have – professionals will have trucks, cranes and the correct equipment.
- Are you licensed? For the state that they are working in.
- Can they provide you a written quote?
- How long is the warranty on your materials?
- Do they have reviews, examples of work or can they provide references.
It is always good to get several quotes and also ask for a break down of the quote so you can understand the costs of the materials and labor.
How much does colorbond roofing cost?
Alot of people ask this question and it is not an easy one to answer. This is because it depends on the job and also the preparation involved. There are many factors that may impact the cost of replacing your roof such as existing roofing material, location and access, roof pitch and replacement tile. Normally roofing is priced per square metre.
On average $70 per square metre for high-quality metal roofing.
Quotes will be based on the size of your roof and the complexity of the roof design. For example a simple gable roof will be less expensive per square metre than multiple gables.
To strip and replace roofing (for an average sized 3 bedroom family home), expect to pay in the region of:
- $6,000 to $10,000 to replace an existing metal skillion roof with Colorbond
- $20,000 to replace existing tiles with Colorbond
- $15,000 to $20,000 to replace an existing asbestos cement roof with Colorbond