8 Reasons to Choose Metal Roofing for your HomeFebruary 15, 2019 3:32 am Leave your thoughts
8 Reasons to Choose Metal Roofing for your Home
With so many roofing options available it can be a challenging choice deciding which one is right for your home.
I have worked up and down the gold coast over the years completing many roof repairs, restorations as well as installing new roofs. Having seen both metal and tile roofs of various ages has given me a good understanding of the durability of metal roofs compared to other options and the best ways to maintain a metal roof for maximum lifespan.
Why are metal roofs better?
- Metal roofs work out cheaper over their lifespan than many other roofing options. While metal roofing may seem a little more costly than other options at first, it can be installed a lower cost to options like tile roofing. This alongside its superior lifespan means much better value for money in the long run.
- Metal Roofing cannot absorb water. Asphalt roofs are well known for failing to repel water as they get older and more weathered. Once they begin to absorb water it quickly leads to degradation and repairs will need to be made quickly to avoid damage to the underlying structure of the roof. Metal roofing, on the other hand, cannot absorb water, no matter its age. If quality products are used and maintained a metal roof can last the lifetime of the house it protects.
- Metal roofs provide superior protection against extreme weather conditions. Here on the Gold Coast it’s common to have extreme weather such as heavy rainfall, high winds and hail. When properly installed metal roofing stands up extremely well to high winds and rainfall where a tile roofing made up of many individual tiles needs only one weak point to fail. The superior strength of a metal roof means that it also will not be damaged or dented by hail.
- Metal roofs are ideal for mounting solar panels. Adding a lower weight product to your roof is a great option if you are planning on installing solar panels which add to the structural load on your home. Metal roofs are also one of the easiest types of roofs to install solar panels on, giving you peace of mind that the process will go smoothly.
- Metal roofs are low maintenance. By installing a metal roof on your home you can be sure that the time you need to spend on top of your roof or call someone out for repairs will be kept to a minimum. This is not the case with tile roofs that require maintenance and repairs more regularly.
- Installation of a metal roof is quicker than other roofing products. On the average residential home it takes around 3 days to install a metal roof. By comparison, tiled roofs are almost always more costly and take longer to install.
- The range of choice for colours on a metal roof is much wider than any other product. Finding a metal roof in a colour that suits your home won’t be a problem. If you can’t find the right shade straight off the shelf there is even the option to have a colour mixed that fits perfectly with your home.
- Metal roofing is one of the most environmentally friendly options. Metal roofing sheets are often made with recycled steel or aluminium. In fact, aluminium roofing is made up of 95% recycled materials already. The potential for a metal roof to be recycled can also make it the feel-good option, knowing that one day, after a long life your roof could be reused to manufacture other recycled products.
Categorised in: Roofing Tips
This post was written by Chris Taylor